Summer is officially here and it’s a busy time for homeowners. With warmer weather, there are so many outdoor projects to tackle – from mowing the lawn and trimming hedges to planting flowers and taking care of trees. But when it comes to tree care, summer can be especially tricky. That’s why we’ve put together this list of 10 summer tree care tips for homeowners. These tips will help you keep your trees healthy during the hottest months of the year, so you can enjoy their beauty all season long! Keep reading to learn more about how you can take proper care of your trees this summer.
How to Take Care of Trees in the Summer
1. Water Regularly: Make sure your trees are getting the proper amount of water in order to thrive. The best time to water is early morning, before the heat of the day sets in. Aim for deep, thorough irrigation so that water reaches down into soil roots and helps keep your trees healthy and hydrated during summer’s hottest days. Just be sure to not over water trees, as this can do more harm than good.
2. Prune Correctly: Summer pruning is important for keeping trees healthy and free from disease. But be careful not to over prune – too much tree trimming can leave them vulnerable to pests and diseases. When it comes to pruning, concentrate on removing dead or damaged branches that have been affected by weather or disease, rather than taking off a lot of foliage unnecessarily.
3. Fertilize: Fertilizing trees in the summer can help them stay healthy and strong. Look for a fertilizer specially made for trees, as it will contain all the necessary nutrients your tree needs to thrive. Make sure you follow instructions carefully and don’t over fertilize – too much fertilizer can burn roots and cause damage to your tree.
4. Monitor Pests: Summer is prime time for bugs like aphids, caterpillars, scales, borers, and beetles that can wreak havoc on trees if they’re not kept in check. Keep an eye out for any signs of infestation such as discolored leaves or wilting branches and use pesticide sprays and traps to keep these pests under control.
5. Check for Diseases: Diseases like powdery mildew, cankerworms, and anthracnose can quickly overtake trees if not treated in time. Inspect your trees often for any signs of disease and take action as soon as possible by spraying the affected area with a fungicide or contacting a tree service professional for assistance.
6. Mulch Correctly: Mulching around the base of your trees helps retain moisture and keeps roots cool during summer’s hottest days. But it’s important to mulch properly – too much or too little can be bad for your tree’s health. Aim for 3-4 inches of mulch spread out evenly around the base of the tree, avoiding piling it too thickly around the trunk.
7. Protect From Sunburn: Just like you, your trees can suffer from sunburn if overexposed to harsh sunlight. To prevent this, make sure to provide adequate shade – especially for young and vulnerable saplings. Planting shrubs and trees near them can help protect them from direct sunlight, or you can use a specialized protective paint on more mature specimens to shield them from ultraviolet rays.
8. Avoid Stressing Out Your Trees: Stress is bad for any living organism, including trees! That’s why it’s important to avoid unnecessary stress on your trees by not planting too deeply or compacting soil around their roots when working. To keep your trees healthy, always use the appropriate tools and techniques when cultivating around them.
9. Limit Pruning During Summer: Summer is not the ideal time to make drastic changes and heavy pruning to your trees. Some tree trimming may be necessary for safety reasons or for aesthetic purposes but try to limit it as much as possible since trees already have a lot of stress during the hot months of the year.
10. Call a Professional: If you’re ever in doubt about how best to care for your trees – or if you notice any signs of disease or pest infestation – it’s best to call in a professional tree service provider who can assess the situation and recommend treatments accordingly. With the help of a professional, your trees will stay healthy and happy all summer long!
Summer Tree Care Advice You Can Use All Season
These 10 tips should help you keep your trees looking their best during the hot summer months. Remember to water regularly, prune correctly, fertilize properly, monitor pests, check for diseases, mulch accordingly, protect from sunburn, avoid stressing out your trees, limit pruning during summer and call in a professional tree service company in Indianapolis if needed. Following these steps will help ensure your trees survive and thrive throughout the season – so you can enjoy their beauty year-round!
Are your landscaping trees in need of some TLC this summer? Contact Complete Tree Care at 317-783-2518 for licensed and insured tree service in Indianapolis, Indiana. We serve residential and commercial clients with comprehensive tree care solutions.